Sunday, October 28, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix [dir. David Yates]

2007, 130 minutes
w/ Daniel Radclife, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint
[While I have trouble distinguishing the four films preceding it from each other, latest director Yates adapts the fifth book in the series (yes, I've read them all) to screen mostly effectively and somewhat, if overstated, darker than perhaps expected. This is the first film in the series I've seen where I couldn't remember the plot too well and I'm not going to discuss it in the review anyways. Rupert Grint remains the most impressive of the core three young actors in my mind while Emma Watson has a few shining moments and Radcliffe seems to be trying a bit too hard but is probably at his best here. Gary Oldman and Alan Rickman steal the show among the adult actors, and Imelda Staunton creates a successful bitch of a villain. The script has quite a few double entendres littered throughout and is pretty solid but sometimes awkwardly delivered by certain actors, especially the young woman who played Luna Lovegood. Some of the special effects are very impressive while others seem a bit cheesy and like the others the movie seems to rush through the plot yet still manage to boast a lengthy (not seeming so at least) running time. I'm pretty sure Cuaron's installment is still my favorite but I'd really have to rewatch them all to tell for sure. Not a bad start for Yates who will direct the next one.]

**1/2

No comments: