Sunday, March 8, 2009

2008 Cannes Film Festival -- Review Update

The 22 films that played at Cannes last year are opening to the public rapidly--be it through theaters or the internet--so I'm just going to quickly rank those I've seen so far and touch on those I still haven't seen.

The films I've seen, from relative best to worst:
Waltz With Bashir / The Class [reviewed]
Synecdoche, New York*
Three Monkeys [reviewed]
Changeling
The Headless Woman [reviewed]

Those I haven't seen, but plan to in the near future:
Two Lovers -- should be seeing it Friday, it will be my first James Gray feature lest I see something in the next few days
Che -- should see this theatrically around the end of March. 
Gomorra -- I've refrained from watching the DVDrip for so long, but it's playing in Rochester in early April.
A Christmas Tale -- perhaps the one I'm looking forward to most; I'm patiently waiting for the DVD.
The Silence of Lorna -- Rip recently became available online, hopefully catching it soon. I like the Dardennes quite a bit.
Regular Lovers -- see The Silence of Lorna
Il Divo -- hope to catch it at the Philadelphia fest, otherwise there's a rip online.
24 City -- waiting.
Adoration -- waiting. It's been a long time, but I have mixed feelings about Egoyan.
Serbis -- waiting.
Linha de Passe -- I have a copy, I just haven't mustered the excitement to see it.

Others
Blindness -- the flop of the festival. I have a copy but don't know if I'll ever get around to watching it. I hope Meirelles can comeback from such a critical/commercial downfall.
Palermo Shooting -- largely considered the worst film @ Cannes, I'm intrigued, but don't know that I'll ever see it.
The rest -- no significant interest, but if they become available and I read more about them I might see them too.

Of course, 2009 Cannes is coming May 13th, I'm looking forward to living vicariously through the privileged viewers of those films, and hope that I someday gather half as dedicated following as that bastard Mike D'Angelo. 
/envy

*considering I was completely bemused on first viewing and my impression of it has fluctuated in the months since, I'm attempting to reserve any concrete judgment before I see it again--which should be quite soon.

No comments: